Friday, March 10, 2006

Company library: It begins

Need a five-minute break this beautiful Friday afternoon? No, I don’t need to bum a smoke or play ping pong – I’m talking about a diversion that has a more, er, direct benefit to the company. ;)

I’ve been thinking about a way in which we can leverage our employees’ collective book collection (is that redundant redundant?) so that we can know what books we have at our disposal. So I invite you to help me try LibraryThing, an online book-cataloging site. It’s free and easy, and I’ve registered an asynchrony user for us all to share. It uses the concept of tagging, which you may be familiar with from sites like Flickr or del.icio.us.
  1. Go to http://www.librarything.com.
  2. Sign in using asynchrony/asynchrony.
  3. Click the Add books tab.
  4. Add as many of your books as you like, tagging liberally.
Some examples of tags might be the book owner (or, since many of our books are technically company-owned, book “possessor”) – I suggest using aCe login name – location or topics. Check out the list of books already in our catalog to see what I mean.

If you have any questions or ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

-Matt

No comments: