Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Bellevegan to speak at "Who owns culture?" forum

Thought this might be interesting to a few of you (I really was thinking of you, Dave), though I'm not really sure how to enjoy it other than to buy a plane ticket to The Big Apple and attend it yourself (perhaps Wired will have a transcript afterward).

I've never met Jeff Tweedy, a fellow Bellevegan (or Bellevillian, as some would have it), but my good friend's older brother went to high school with him and he was pretty cool. I just like his music (particularly the old UT days).

JEFF TWEEDY AND LAWRENCE LESSIG AT NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY ON APRIL 7 Jeff Tweedy and Stanford Law School professor Lawrence Lessig offer up their opinions regarding Napster, free culture, and the arts. Lessig wrote the 2004 book Free Culture: How Big Media Uses Technology and the Law to Lock Down Culture and Control Creativity. Steven Johnson, author of Interface Culture: How New Technology Transforms the Way We Create and Communicate, will moderate the discussion. Tickets on sale Thursday, March 17 at 10 a.m via Smarttix.com. Additional Ticket info to follow.

WHO OWNS CULTURE?
LIVE from the NYPL in conjunction with Wired magazine
Jeff Tweedy
Lawrence Lessig
Steven Johnson
Thursday, April 7 at 7 p.m.
Celeste Bartos Forum

1 comment:

fourworlds said...

That does sound very interesting to me, although for the life of me I can't think of a business justification to make the trip (suggestions appreciated.)